The Sun
Raymond Lam: If deprived of love
Click on the images to enlarge:

Caption: During these few years, even though Ron Ng, Bosco Wong and Kevin Cheng are competing, Raymond Lam, who has been through many years of hardships already, is more mature. He conceals the aura of a leading actor and has a valiant posture. As long as he has ability, he can face any challenges that block his goal.
Raymond Lam has suddenly become the new admired one of OLs with his new series La Femme Desperado. Sister-brother relationships have also suddenly become middle-aged women’s dreams and pride. In reality, Raymond has met a woman who was older than him but liked him. Laughing, he said, “Even if all the young, middle-aged and old women come to me once, I won’t be fortunate enough to go out with any of them, because my manager doesn’t let me date.”
In La Femme Desperado, Raymond’s character is a devoted young guy who has had a crush on his tutor for many years. However, he finally manages to gather up the courage to express his love, and although he was continually rejected, he never gave up. Raymond even starts with Melissa Ng a sister-brother relationship in the series, with their age difference being seven years.
The series ratings are good; Raymond is suddenly being called his character’s name, Siu Chai when he goes out. Having become the admired one of OLs, Raymond, satisfied, said, “I’m really happy when I’m just walking along the street and someone suddenly calls me “Siu Chai.” It proves that audiences accept this character of mine. At first I was worried that the audiences’ thoughts would be more conservative and not accept this sister-brother relationship storyline, so when I was acting it I felt some pressure. In the end we all decided to use a relaxed and comedic way to act it. Fortunately the audience’s reactions have been really good, I’m really happy myself.”
Sister-brother relationships in reality
In the series he develops a sister-brother relationship with Melissa Ng, but in reality, Raymond has also experienced a sister-brother relationship! He said, “This was back in middle school, when I used to participate in those extracurricular activities at school. Normally there would be students from about two or three years above my grade as our instructors. We were all young guys and girls and so of course we got along well with each other. Later, I heard some classmates saying that there was a girl in one of the higher grades who liked me, but these things I just listened to and didn’t worry too much about. Plus, I was still in school at that time and really hadn’t thought of dating at all. But I don’t object to sister-brother relationships. If there is a girl who is older than me by around three to five years, that shouldn’t be too big a problem, at least our thoughts will still be pretty much the same and we’ll still be able to communicate easily, then there won’t be such a big distance between us.”
So what if there’s a girl?
But Raymond actually laughed and said, “Whether the girls are older than me, younger than me, or even if young, middle-aged and old women came to me at once, I won’t be fortunate enough to go out with any of them, because my manager doesn’t let me date. But not letting me date isn’t such a big deal, because in reality I really don’t have any time to go out with anyone, plus recently I’ve always been working with Mainland; I’m not spending a lot of time in Hong Kong. People in the entertainment industry’s times aren’t ever stable, making it very hard to maintain a relationship. There won’t be any girls who’d want to go out with me! Besides, at this time, I have to concentrate on my career first.”
Sharon Chan – No way
Even though that’s what Raymond says, his rumours are still coming, one following the other. Recently making it onto the list include Sharon Chan and his female assistant, who was said to be always by his side when he was filming Tai Chi earlier in Mainland. Raymond then explained, “I’ve known Sharon for many years and everyone know we call each other brother and sister! I don’t understand how the media managed to make a rumour out of that, but when Sharon and I read the newspapers, we really thought it was rather funny. The female assistant’s one was even funnier. They just took a few photos and made a story out of it. In fact, I knew there were reporters there and already I was expecting for them to be making up stories. This, I really can’t control. But the most miserable one was my assistant! I did comfort her afterwards, telling her that Hong Kong’s reporters are like that.”
Epilogue: Forget it!
Raymond said that having been in the industry for eight years, he understands quite a lot: “In the past whenever I suddenly had rumours, saying stuff like I was with her or her, I would get really mad after reading the report. But now I don’t get as angry anymore. I know how things work and that I can’t control anything, you can say that I was forced to accept it. Now, sometimes I don’t even bother to read the reports or even care about them.”